Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Why Moms are Perfect for Organizing

You know how you just get used to one age or stage, and your child(ren)s needs and responses change? You know how at the end of the day, when you are exhausted, it's worth it all, and you wouldn't trade it for anything?

If you are afraid of "getting organized," or think you are the most disorganized person in the world, know that it is a lot like motherhood. I have a friend who is pretty organized, and who became a mother before me. At my baby shower, a book was passed around for all my friends to jot down "mom advice." This particular friend wrote something to this effect: "It will seem overwhelming at first, but it won't be long and you will get the hang of it! You will know what to do and that you were born for this!"

This concept holds true for establishing ways of bringing order into your home and life. At first, you're afraid you won't get it right, and it's not always easy, but your confidence grows with each passing day if you just stick with it.

Not long ago, if my house looked like it does today, and I had what I have on my plate today, I would not have been trying to encourage you with a post today. In fact, I would have been blubbering. Here is a short list of what's going on in our household:

1. As I type, workmen are banging around on scaffolding outside our home, repairing flashing from faulty construction which caused leaking.
2. We have been trying to get our transmission fixed for a month (Can you say budget strain?), and we are a one-car family.
3. I have piles of papers on top of a cooler in my kitchen. (Getting ready to move my "office" into a closet.
4. We have piles of books and office furniture in our hallway. (Getting ready to take stuff out of the closet and put it into my husbands office to make room for my office in the closet.)
5. My grocery shopping habits are undergoing a complete upheaval (More  budget strain here!) as we scramble to makeover our diet and get a health issue under control before it escalates into an emergency room visit. (I won't go into detail on this one!)
6. I am hosting a workshop in a couple of weeks, and have other business appointments during that time as well!

Whew! You know the feeling, right? When it rains, it pours? The difference for me "then" and "now" is knowing how to fall back on my established ways of doing life. (I pray too!) Having confidence and knowing how your systems work to get you through the "crazy" (come on! it's just life!) times makes all the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment