Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Doing it Differently: What are You Reading?


 Is this happening to you? You have a bunch of S.T.U.F.F. nagging at your mind that needs to be done, needs to be changed, need a vacation….whoops! You know what I mean, right? This post is not about spring fever, although that definitely is a happening all around us, and summer is right around the corner, too for those of us who are in the States.

What I am talking about here is developing knowledge enough so that you can do things differently. As you know if you’ve been a reader here for long, I strongly advocate doing things DIFFERENTLY. We get the same disorderly results as long as we try to just muddle through life doing the same things the same way week in and week out until we are burnt out completely.

The problem with this is that you don’t KNOW how to do it differently, even if you want to! It’s easier to just say, “I am not like that….I wish I was like Martha Stewart….I’ll never get organized,” or something similar. New pieces of knowledge are what will give you a different perspective, and inspiration and motivation to actually make changes a day at a time!

You can really learn a lot of stuff online, and it’s great to find a piece of information for which you looking upon a simple Google search. However, something magical happens when you read on one subject for ten or twenty chapters. (E-readers are great, but there is something about having a book in your hand.) Staying in and around the information that holds the key to your change is important. You can bring home a stack of kitchen idea books, and go through the tables of contents, research style. Spend an hour leafing through and learning bits of information here and there. After a while, you will identify which book has the most information in one place that you desire to learn. Return the rest, and READ the one (or the two).

Reading and research can save you a bundle of money in the busy mom organizing journey, and it pays big dividends in the confidence department. As you turn the pages of those books, I guarantee you will turn a corner in the organizing maze and say, “OH, yeah! I got this!”

Seriously, that IS a promise! Are you saying, “yeah, but I don’t have time to read?!” If you are, I just have a few questions for you:

  1. Can you listen to an audio book on your commute?
  2. Have you watched ANY (including the news) TV today?
  3. Are you comfortable with your current stage of the organizing journey? Well, ARE you?
  4. How BAD do you WANT to be more organized in your work, life, and home anyway?

2 comments:

  1. You make a very good point - these days we tend to "graze" - picking up little bits and pieces of information along the way - without ever sitting down to a proper "meal". I have a number of business-related books I've been wanting to read for some time, but it never seemed to fit into my schedule, so now I've decided to intersperse them with my novels instead of waiting for some available time to magically appear on my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Keep that brain moving. I often thought it would be great to have girlfriends all read different books and then get together to learn a summary from each other, so we can skip reading the ones we don't really want to! Thanks for stopping by, Janet.

    ReplyDelete